Planting a Seed... Building Character... Growing the roots that can rebuild a Nation

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Indenity Statement


11-15-11.1          Identity Statement

As part of my mission search, I have worked for many years on answering the questions, “Who am I?”, “Why am I here?”, and “Where am I going?”  I just realized the other day that all these years I have been creating mission and vision statements I was answering these very questions.  Mission answers “Why am I here?”.  Vision answers “Where am I going?”.  Then I realized I have no declaration or statement of belief to remind myself the answer the question “Who am I?”.

While I’ve been on bed-rest I’ve had some great time to think, study, and learn.  The other day Teren (5) got a book off the shelf and wanted me to read to her.  She chose “The Greatest Miracle in the World” by Og Mandino.  For the next few days, she would get the book and I’d read a little to her until she got restless.  I’d ask her if she wanted me to stop or if she was going to listen.  Sometimes she said keep going, sometimes she said it was time to stop.  I kept reading even when she wasn’t there because the story captured me.  By the time I got to the end on 11-11-11 I knew it was time that I find a habit that I needed to commit to so that I could improve my character.  After finishing this story and reading “God’s Memorandum”, I was inspired to write my own Identity Statement.  Now I finally have a declaration statement to answer “Who am I?”

I think the things in life that we forget the most easily are those things which are the most important to remember.  In other words, it’s easiest to forget that which is most important.  I need the declaration statements to remind myself of these most precious pinnacle truths in my life, so that I will remember and do that which is most important.  I committed on 11-11-11 that I would read more often these declaration statements. 

I believe these three questions are the three main roots on the Tree of Character.  As we answer these questions, and continue to refine them, then we sink our roots deep into the fountain of truth.  Having the truth ‘girt about our loins’ there is nothing that can push us over; no wind that can uproot our life.  It is an amazing feeling knowing I am finally growing roots strong enough to withstand all the fiery darts of the adversary.  I memorized this scripture a couple weeks ago and made a new friend.  (according to Elder Scott this last conference.)  I had to review to get it right...



·         Helaman 5:12


12 And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the arock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your ideas and thoughts. Thanks for sharing in the Joy of Learning. It truly fills my heart! -Pennie